I-95/I-395 BRAC Improvements
(Updated July 2012)
Expedite construction of road/transit improvements to support the influx of thousands of Department of Defense workers
I-395/Seminary Road HOV Reversible Ramp
As part of the new I-95 HOT Lanes project, a new reversible ramp will be constructed linking the I-95/I-395 HOT/HOV lanes to Seminary Road, providing efficient transit and carpooling access to the Mark Center.
A Federal Highway Administration mandated Environmental Assessment (EA) is underway. VDOT has begun preliminary engineering on the project concurrently to speed the construction schedule when the EA is complete.
Cost: $80 million
- Federal: $67.5 million
- State: $12 million
- Local: $0.05 million
Construction Begins: 2013
Construction Compete: Late 2015
To view a map of the proposed ramp, click here.
I-395 Auxiliary Lane - Northbound from Duke Street to Seminary Road
Construct a 1-mile lane connecting the Duke Street on ramp with the Seminary Road off ramp.
Cost: $20 million
- Federal and State
Short- and Mid-Term Improvements
Department of Defense funded improvements to help support the relocation of 6,400 Defense Department employees scheduled to be complete by the end of 2011 are listed below.
(To view a map matching each project listed below with its location, click here)
Phase I Short-Term Improvements (Projects 1, 2a, 5 and 7):
- Project 1: Widen northbound I-395 off ramp and restripe the Seminary Road rotary.
- (Note: This project will be built with the HOV ramp and should be complete in 2013.)
- Project 2a: Widen the Seminary Road westbound approach and gore area from the rotary to the Mark Center Drive intersection.
- Project 5: Widen the eastbound Seminary Road approach to Mark Center Drive and the northbound Mark Center Drive approach to Seminary Road.
- Project 7: Widen eastbound Seminary Road and the southbound I-395 on ramp from Mark Center Drive to the ramp meter signal to provide a continuous two lane ramp from Seminary Road to the ramp meter.
Cost: $5-6 million
Construction Begins: June 2012
Construction Complete: Late 2012
Phase II Mid-Term Improvements (Projects 2b, 3, 6)
- Project 2b: Widen Seminary Road to provide a dedicated right turn lane from westbound Seminary Road to Southern Towers.
- Project 3: Widen westbound Seminary Road to provide a deceleration lane and widen northbound Beauregard Street to provide an acceleration lane for the westbound to northbound right turn lane.
- Project 6: Widen northbound Beauregard Street between Mark Center Drive and Seminary Road to provide a dedicated right turn lane at the northbound approach to Seminary Road and reconfigure the Beauregard Street/Seminary Road intersection.
- Pedestrian Bridge: Construct a pedestrian bridge over Seminary Road at the Mark Center Drive intersection to replace the at-grade pedestrian crossing currently in place. (Note: The City decided not to allow this improvment.)
Cost: $12-14 million
Construction Begins: April 2013
Construction Complete: December 2013